Rathaus & Bürgerservice
Leben & Freizeit, Familien & Bildung
Tourismus & Veranstaltungen
Wirtschaft & Stadtmarketing
Kunst & Kultur, Museen & Geschichte
Stadtrundgang - sightseeing walk

Stadt Remagen - Die Stadt am Rhein

Der Stadtrundgang Remagen führt Sie über fast 50 Stationen durch alle Stadtteile Stadt Remagen - Die Stadt am Rheinbeginnend in der Kernstadt Remagen (Station 1 bis 22) über Kripp (Stationen 30 - 37), nach Oberwinter (Stationen 70 - 78) über Bandorf (Station 60) nach Unkelbach (Station 40 - 42) und Oedingen (Station 50) über Rolandseck (Stationen 80 - 81)  bis nach Rolandswerth (Stationen 90 - 93) ganz im Norden unseres Stadtgebietes.

Im zugehörigen Faltblatt finden Sie darüber hinaus eine Vielzahl an "Kulinarischen Entdeckungen" mit Einkehrtipps in der vielfältigen Remagener Gastronomie.
Stadtrundgang mit "Kulinarischen Entdeckungen" zum Download >>>

The sightseeing walk contains more than 50 stages of Remagen and neighbourhoods. The sightseeing walk starts at the central city and continuous on in the neighbourhood. A flyer shows locations from “Bank of Sculptures”  and is giving hints on surrounding gastronomy. Download >>>


1  RömerplatzSynagoge am Römerplatz / Romansquare
Auf dem Römerplatz erinnert ein Mahnmal an die deutsche jüdische Gemeinde von Remagen und deren Synagoge aus dem Jahr 1869, die in der Nacht zum 10. November 1938 geschändet und niedergebrannt wurde. -
A memorial placed at the Romansquare, commemorates a former synagogue from 1869. During the night of the pogrom in 1938, it was destroyed by fire.
         
 
         
Drususstraße2  Drususstrasse / Drusus Street

Die Drususstraße ist nach dem römischen Heerführer Drusus (38 bis 9 v.Chr.) benannt. Die Häuser entlang dieser Straße beeindrucken mit einer Vielzahl ansehnlicher Jugendstil-Fassaden aus den Anfängen des 20. Jahrhunderts. -

Drusus Street is named after the Roman military leader Drusus (38 - 9 B.C.)

The buildings along the Drusus Square, constructed at the beginning of the 20th century, impress with their Art Nouveau facades. The buildings along the Drusus Square, constructed at the beginning of the 20th century, impress with their Art Nouveau facades.
         
 
         

Bahnhof3  Bahnhof / The Railway-Station
Im Januar 1858 wurde der Bahnbetrieb Köln-Remagen aufgenommen. Das klassizistische Stationsgebäude wurde in den Jahren 1859/60 erbaut und 1885 um eine eiserne Vorhalle ergänzt, die vom Bonner Bahnhof ab- und in Remagen wieder aufgebaut wurde. Das unter Denkmalschutz stehende Gebäude wurde von der Deutschen Bahn zum 125- jährigen Jubiläum 1985 renoviert. Der „Maisons-Laffitte-Platz“ vor dem Bahnhof ist nach der französischen Partnerstadt Remagens benannt. -

The railway system from Remagen to Cologne was started in 1858. The neo- classical station was built in 1859/60.The iron entrance hall, dismantled in Bonn and rebuilt in Remagen, was added 25 years later. The landmarked building was renovated in 1985 to celebrate its 125th jubilee. The Maisons-Laffitte Square, located in front of the station, is named after Remagen´s French twin city.

         
 
         

Martinsbrunnen4  Martinsbrunnen / The fountain "Martinsbrunnen"

Der vom Verschönerungsverein Remagen e.V. gestiftete Martinsbrunnen stellt plastisch dar, was nach dem Remagener Martins-Lied im St. Martins-Feuer alles verbrannt wird: Körbe, Strohbündel und sogar ein altes Kanapee. Die Tradition des Martinsfestes reicht in Remagen weit zurück und wird jedes Jahr Anfang November von hunderten Kindern und Bürgern gefeiert. -

The “Martinsbrunnen”, a fountain donated in 1995, shows articles which are used to ignite the Martin´s Fire, as in the well-known “St. Martin” song. The bonfire is an old tradition celebrated in Remagen on St. Martins day, the 11th of November. 

         
 
         

Rathaus5  Rathaus / The town hall
Das klassizistische Rathaus wurde 1835 als Schul- und Stadthaus erbaut, nachdem das frühere Rathaus von 1539 einige Jahre vorher abgerissen worden war. Die gotische Wappentafel über der gegenüberliegenden Passage erinnert noch heute daran. Auf dem Rathausplatz steht der Marienbrunnen von 1862, der bis zu Beginn des 20. Jahrhunderts die Wasserversorgung der Stadt sicherte. -

Rebuilt in 1835, the Town Hall was pulled down some years before. The neo-classical building was used as an academic and administrative institution. In front of the town hall you can see the fountain “Marienbrunnen”, which was the only source of water from 1862 until the beginning of the 20th Century.

         
 
         
Milchgasse6  Milchgasse The Milchgasse
Zu sehen sind schöne Fachwerkhäuser und die Reste der Stadtmauer aus dem 14. Jh. Besonders hervorzuheben ist das 200m lange Mauerstück, das entlang der Milchgasse verläuft. Im Deichweg findet man später im Rundgang in den Bögen der heutigen Stützmauer der Pfarrkirche Reste der römischen Befestigungsmauern.- Here you can see beautiful half-timbered houses and remains of a city wall from the 14th Century. Going along the Deichweg down to the Rhine, you will discover remains of an old Roman fort wall below the parish church.
         
 
         

7  Obelisk / The obeliskObelisk
Der Obelisk stand ursprünglich unterhalb des Marienfelsens an der Straße nach Oberwinter. Er wurde im Jahr 1775 durch den Hofbaumeister Ignatz Kees errichtet. Seine lateinische Inschrift erinnert an einen römischen Meilenstein, errichtet im Jahre 162 unter den Kaisern Marc Aurel und Lucius Verus, der gefunden wurde, als man die Straße im Jahre 1768 wiederherstellte und erweiterte. -

The obelisk was created in 1775 by the Master-Builder Ignatz Kees. The original was located under the Marienfels, on the road to Oberwinter. Its Latin inscription commemorates an earlier milestone erected by the Roman emperors Marc Aurel and Lucius Verus 162 A.C. The original was found in 1768 near Marienfels during road works between Remagen and Oberwinter.

         
 
         
Kapelle8  Kapelle St. Maria im Lee / Chapel "St. Maria in der Lee"  

Die Kapelle entstand nach 1850 als Stiftung des aus Remagen stammenden Hofbesitzers F.J. Schäfer. Vorher stand an dieser Stelle wahrscheinlich nur das Kreuz von 1737. Die Kapelle wurde in den Jahren 2004 bis 2007 auf Initiative von Angehörigen der Pfarrgemeinde St. Peter und Paul renoviert. Das große Wohnhaus rechts wurde 1904 als Dienstwohnung des Bürgermeisters errichtet.  -

The chapel was built in 1850 from a donation of F.J. Schäfer, owner of a farm in Remagen. Earlier there was probably only been the cross from 1737. From 2004 to 2007 it was renovated through the initiative of the members of the Parish St. Peter and St. Paul. The large apartment house on the right was constructed in 1904 as an official residence of the Mayor of Remagen.

         
 

         

9  Apollinariskirche Wallfahrtskirche/ The neo-gothic Church "Apollinariskirche"
Die Apollinariskirche wurde von 1839 bis 1857 nach einem Entwurf des Kölner Dombaumeisters Ernst-Friedrich Zwirner im Auftrag des Grafen Franz Egon von Fürstenberg-Stammheim an der Stelle der mittelalterlichen Martinskirche erbaut. Die Grundsteinlegung fand am 22.07.1839 statt, eingeweiht wurde die Kirche am 24.03.1857. Die Fresken im Inneren der neugotischen Kirche stammen von Mitgliedern der Künstlergruppe der „Nazarener“. Drei Bildzyklen zeigen das Leben Jesu, das Leben Mariens und die Taten des heiligen Apollinaris als Bischof von Ravenna. In der Krypta befindet sich die silberne Reliquienbüste des heiligen Apollinaris, die in jedem Jahr zur Wallfahrtszeit Ende Juli aus dem Sarkophag erhoben wird. Von der Statue des heiligen Franziskus oberhalb der Kirche genießt man einen herrlichen Blick über Remagen und das Mittelrheintal.  -

The “Apollinariskirche” was built from 1839  by Ernst-Friedrich Zwirner, the Master-Builder of Cologne Cathedral. Earl Egon von Fürstenberg-Stammheim commissioned the building on the site of the medieval “Martinskirche”. The frescos inside are works created by members of the “Nazarener” Artists Association. A main feature is that in the crypt the silver relic bust of Saint Apollinaris is housed and is annually displayed during a pilgrimage at the end of July. Next to the statue of St. Francis above the car park you have a superb view over Remagen and the romantic valley of the Middle Rhine.
weitere Information / more information >>>

         
 
         

Stadt Remagen - Die Stadt am Rhein10  Historisches Dreieck / Historical Triangle

Dieser Teil der Altstadt, der das Rathaus in Form eines Dreieckes umgibt, hat sich in den vergangenen Jahren zunehmend als Kunst- und Kulturviertel etabliert. Hier befand sich vom 1. Bis 4. Jahrhundert das römische Kastell RIGOMAGUS. Reste der spätrömischen Festungsmauer, des Prätoriums und der Principa sind erhalten und können hinter dem Rathaus, im Keller des Alten Jugendheims (11) und im Römischen Museum (12) besichtigt werden. -

 Here the Roman fort RIGOMAGUS stood from the 1st to 4th centuries. Remains of the late Roman fortification wall, the Praetorium and the Principa are preserved, and can be visited in the cellar of the Former Youth Centre (11) and the Roman Museum (12).

         
 

         

11  Altes Jugendheim und Caracciola-Gedenkzimmer / Former Youth Altes JugendheimCentre and Caracciola memorial room
Das 1915 als Jünglingsheim vom Architekten Alois Böll (einem Onkel des Nobelpreisträgers Heinrich Böll) errichtete Gebäude beherbergt heute die Kulturwerkstatt Remagen und das Caracciola-Gedenkzimmer. Im Keller sind Hypocaust-Heizungen aus dem Prätorium des römischen Kastells RIGOMAGUS erhalten. -

The former Youth Centre was built in 1915 by the architect Alois Böll, uncle of the Nobel Prize winner Heinrich Böll. Today it is used as a cultural workshop and Caracciola memorial room. In the basement you will find Hypocaust heatings of the praetorium of the Roman fort "RIGOMAGUS".

         
 

         

Römisches Museum12  Römisches Museum /The Roman Museum

In der ehemaligen Kapelle aus dem 15. Jh. werden Fundstücke aus dem römischen Kastell RIGOMAGUS (1.-4. Jh. n. Chr.) präsentiert. Inschriften, Grabbeigaben und Münzen geben einen spannenden Einblick in Leben und Tod römischer Soldaten am Rhein. Im Keller sind die Fundamente eines Säulengangs aus dem 2. Jh. n. Chr. erhalten. Die Nachbildung einer gotischen Wappentafel über dem Eingang erinnert an das frühere Remagener Rathaus von 1539, das 1810 abgerissen wurde.  -


Exhibits from the old Roman fort "RIGOMAGUS" are displayed in the former chapel from the 15th century. The collection includes coins and grave contents from the 1st to 4th centuries A.C. The finds give a fascinating insight into life of Roman soldiers based on the Rhine. In the basement you can visit extensive fundaments of an arcade from the 2nd century. A replica of a gothic emblem above the entrance refers to the former town hall from 1538 which was pulled down in 1810.
weitere Informationen / more information >>>

         
 
         

Peter u. Paul13  Pfarrkirche St. Peter und Paul / The Parish Church St. Peter und Paul

Schon um 500 gab es eine Kirche in Remagen. Die ältesten Teile der heutigen Kirche stammen aus dem Jahr 1246. 1900 bis 1903 erfolgte der wuchtige Anbau im neoromantischen Stil. Im alten Teil, der heute als Taufkapelle dient, findet man Fresken und Figurenkapitelle aus dem 13. Jh. Das gotische Sakramentshäuschen sowie das Gewölbe aus der Zeit um 1500 sind bemerkenswerte Zeugnisse mittelalterlicher Baukunst. -

As early as 500 A.C. there was a church in Remagen. The oldest parts of the contemporary church date back to 1246. In 1900 an outbuilding was added in a neo-romantic style. In the old part, which is today used as a baptistery, one can see frescos and figures from the 13th century. The gothic sacramental house and the arch from 1500 are remarkable evidence of medieval art.

Im neuen Teil der Kirche wurde der Altar aus dem 13. Jh. wiederhergestellt,

Pfarrhoftor vor dem der Erbauer der Kirche, Pfarrer Richard, nach einer Inschrift auf dem Rand der Altarplatte begraben worden war. Zur Ausstattung gehört weiterhin ein spätgotisches Heiliges Grab in der Eingangshalle, ein Vesperbild aus dem 16. Jh. sowie barocke Holzfiguren der Apostel Petrus und Paulus. Nicht mehr in Gebrauch befindliche Reste der Ausstattung des frühen 20. Jhs. sind in der Krypta von 1903 zu besichtigen. Das sogenannte romanische Pfarrhoftor aus dem 12. Jahrhundert zeigt geheimnisvolle Skulpturen, die Alexanders Luftreise, Samsons Kampf mit dem Löwen und die Todsünden darstellen. -

The romantic portal leading to the churchyard, displays sculptures dating back to the 12th century. They portray the deadly sins as well as historical scenes like Samson’s fight with the lion or Alexander’s aerial journey.

         
 
         

Apollinariskeller14  Apollinariskeller / Cellar of Apollinaris

Otto Caracciola (1815-1886) gründete 1845 das renommierte „Hotel Fürstenberg” auf der Rheinpromenade. Daneben führte er eine erfolgreiche Weinhandlung, für die er einen großen Weinkeller erbauen ließ. In der letzten Ausbaustufe von 1886 fasste der 1.000 m² große Apollinariskeller bis zu 3 Mio. Liter Weine aus aller Welt. Er ist damit ein wichtiges Baudenkmal aus dem ausgehenden 19. Jh. das 1968 bis 1972 als Kellerlokal nochmals zu kurzem Ruhm gelangte und heute auf eine neue Nutzung wartet. -

In 1845 Otto Caracciola (1815-1886) founded the well-known “Hotel Fürstenberg” in the Rhine-Promenade. Next to it he had a successful wine store, for which he build a large wine cellar. In 1886 up to 3 million litres of wine were stored in the 1000 m³ cellar. It is an important monument which between 1968 and 1972 was occasionally used for celebrations. Today it is waiting for new challenges.

         
 

         

15  Caracciola-Denkmal / Caracciola-MemorialStadt Remagen - Die Stadt am Rhein
Im Übergang zur Rheinpromenade steht ein vom Verschönerungsverein Remagen e.V. gestiftetes Denkmal für den in Remagen geborenen Rennfahrer Rudolf Caracciola (1901-1959), das zu seinem 100. Geburtstag enthüllt wurde. Seine legendären Siege mit dem “Silberpfeil” sind eng verbunden mit der “Grünen Hölle”, dem Nürburgring in der nahen Eifel. Die Familie war Eigentümerin des Hotels Fürstenberg (siehe 16). -  www.caracciola-club.org

This memorial was erected to commemorate the 100th birthday of Remagen-born racing driver Rudolf Caracciola (1901-1959). His legendary victories with his racing car “Silberpfeil” are closely linked to the “green hell”, the Nürburgring in the Eifel. His family were owners of the well known “Hotel Fürstenberg” (see 16).

         
 
         

die neue Rheinpromenade16  Rheinpromenade – Caracciolaplatz / The Rhine-Promenade – Caracciola square
Von der Rheinpromenade hat man einen fantastischen Blick rheinabwärts auf Schloss Marienfels, Haus Ernich und das Siebengebirge. Der Caracciola Platz erinnert an den in Remagen geborenen Rennfahrer Rudolf Caracciola und seinen Großvater, den Weinhändler und ehem. Eigentümer des Hotels Fürstenberg, Otto Caracciola.   -

From here you have an excellent view down the river Rhine to Castle Marienfels, House Ernich and the Siebengebirge hills. Caracciola Square commemorates two of Remagen’s most famous citizens, racing driver Rudolf Caracciola and his grandfather, the wine dealer and owner of the “Hotel Fürstenberg” Otto Caracciola.

         
 
         

17  Rheinpromenade – Ehemalige Orderstation / The Rhine-Promenade – Former order station
Von der Rheinpromenade hat man einen fantastischen Blick rheinabwärts auf Schloss Marienfels, Haus Ernich und das Siebengebirge. Im Haus Rheinpromenade 29 war früher die Orderstation für die Rheinschiffer untergebracht. Rheinaufwärts blickt man auf das Felsmassiv der Erpeler Ley.  -

From here you can see Castle Marienfels, House Ernich and the Siebengebirge hills. On the opposing bank of the Rhine, one can see the great rock “Erpeler Ley”. The former order station for the riverboat captains was housed in Rheinpromenade 29.

         
 
         

18  Friedensmuseum "Brücke von Remagen"Friedensmuseum "Brücke von Remagen" / Peace Museum "Bridge at Remagen"
In den Türmen der 1916-1918 erbauten Brücke ist seit 1980 das Friedensmuseum „Brücke von Remagen“ untergebracht, das die Geschichte der früheren Ludendorffbrücke und des Kriegsgefangenenlagers Remagen darstellt. Sie wurde am 7. März 1945 weltberühmt, als amerikanische Truppen hier unerwartet den Rhein überqueren konnten. Das Ende des Zweiten Weltkrieges war damit in greifbare Nähe gerückt. Am 17. März 1945 brach die beschädigte Brücke in sich zusammen und begrub mindestens 30 US-Soldaten unter sich. -

The “Friedensmuseum” (Peace Museum) was established in 1980 in the towers of the “Bridge at Remagen”, built 1916-1918. The bridge gained fame as the American troops were able to cross the last remaining bridge on the Rhine in 1945. The history of the Ludendorffbrücke, as it was called, and the Prisoner-of-War camp in Remagen is on show in the museum. The bridge collapsed in 1945 killing more than 30 U.S. soldiers.
weitere Informationen / more information >>>

         
 

         
Stadt Remagen - Die Stadt am Rhein19  St. Anna - Kapelle / Chapel St. Anna

Von der 1906 im neugotischen Stil erbauten ehemaligen Klosterkirche "St. Anna" ist nach der Aufgabe des Klosters Mitte der 70er-Jahre nur noch ein Teil erhalten geblieben. Auf dem restlichen Gelände des ehem. St. Anna-Klosters entstand eine neue Wohnanlage. Die ehemalige Kirche wurde in den Jahren 2012 und 2013 aufwändig saniert und neugestaltet. Seitdem wird sie als Begegnungsstätte sowie für Ausstellungen und Konzerte genutzt. -

Built in 1906, the neo-Gothic chapel was abandoned in the seventies. Only a part has been preserved and can be visited. The remaining land is used for housing. In 2012/2013 the former church was extensively renovated and is now used as a meeting place and room for exhibitions and concerts.

         
 

         

Friedenskirche20  Friedenskirche / Church of the since
Kirchenbau der seit 1585 bestehenden evangelischen Gemeinde. Die von Baurat Cuno erbaute neugotische Kirche wurde am 18. Juni 1872 eingeweiht. Sie ist in kleinerem Maßstab einer gotischen Hallenkirche nachempfunden. Im 2. Weltkrieg wurde sie durch Bombenangriffe schwer beschädigt, was zum Einsturz des Turmes im Jahr 1947 führte. Zum Reformationsfest 1950 fand wieder der erste Gottesdienst in der Friedenskirche statt. Glanzstück des Kirchenraumes sind die 1972 eingesetzten Fenster in tiefblau und rot. -

Church of the since 1585 existing protestant congregation. The foundation stone for the neo-gothic protestant church "Friedenskirche" was laid on 18th of June 1871. The church was consecrated one year later. During World War II the church was damaged by bombing, which led to the church tower collapsing in 1947. The first service after restoration was held in 1950. Special attention should be paid to the deep blue and red windows, which were installed in 1972.

         
 
         

21  Kapelle Schwarze MadonnaSchwarze Madonna / The chapel of the Black Madonna
Die Kapelle der “Schwarzen Madonna” erinnert an das amerikanische Kriegsgefangenenlager, in dem zwischen April und Juli 1945 mehr als 300.000 deutsche Soldaten unter freiem Himmel und elenden Bedingungen festgehalten wurden. Die Figur der Schwarzen Madonna modellierte der Künstler Adolf Wamper im Lager.1987 wurde die aus Spenden finanzierte Kapelle erbaut. -

The Chapel of the Black Madonna commemorates the American prisoner-of-war camp for German soldiers in 1945. Between April and July 1945 more than 300,000 German soldiers lived in the open in miserable conditions. The imprisoned artist Adolf Wamper created the Black Madonna during his captivity in the camp. Financed by donations, a chapel was built in 1987.
weitere Information / more information >>>

         
 
         

Campus22  RheinAhrCampus Remagen / technical college
Der 1998 eröffnete RheinAhrCampus Remagen wurde als einer von drei Standorten der Hochschule Koblenz im Rahmen des Bonn-Berlin-Ausgleichs gegründet. Über 2500 Studierende erhalten eine wissenschaftliche und praxisorientierte Aus- und Weiterbildung in Studiengängen mit Zukunftscharakter. Das Gebäude wird bestimmt von zwei Gebäudezeilen, die mit ihren Traversen für Mensa, Audimax und Medienzentrum einen rechteckigen Innenhof umschließen. Glanzlicht des Komplexes ist die Bibliotheksrotunde mit Blick auf den Rhein. Die einzelnen Studiengänge sind im Gebäude nicht voneinander getrennt. Vielmehr spiegelt sich die Konzeption vom gemeinsamen und interdisziplinären Studieren im Bau wider. -

The technical college was opened in 1998. It is part of a finance programme which compensates the Ahr region for the massive economic changes caused by the moving of the federal capital from Bonn to Berlin. It has more than 2500 students, who are offered programmes focused on scientific and practice-orientated studies. The campus consists of two main buildings connected with traverses, forming a complex. The traverses contain cafeteria, lecture hall and media centre. A highlight is the library with an excellent view over the Rhine. The degree programmes are not separated within the campus. Rather the concept of collective learning is reflected that way.
weitere Informationen / more information >>>

         
 

         

Pumpe in Kripp30  Alte Pumpe / The old pump
Der Ortsteil Kripp ist der jüngste Stadtteil von Remagen. Auch wenn Kripp 1474 bereits urkundlich erwähnt wurde, als im burgundischen Krieg kaiserliche Truppen die gegenüberliegende Stadt Linz belagerten, erfolgte die Besiedlung mit dem ersten Hausbau erst im Jahr 1705. Bis zum Bau des Wasserturms 1904 und der Wasserleitung holte die Kripper Bevölkerung ihr Wasser an solchen Pumpen, von denen es mehrere im Ort gab. Diese Pumpe ist die letzte erhaltene. -

Although documented in 1474, Kripp, the newest part of Remagen, was populated in 1705. During the Burgundian war, imperatorial troops discovered this place when sieging the town of Linz, on the opposing bank of the Rhine. In 1904 a water tower was built to guarantee the water supply, until the village was connected to the mains. Until then the residents had to get their fresh water at such pumps.

         
 
         
31  Kripper Fente / The "Fente" of Kripp

Die Skulpturen symbolisieren die Beobachtung der früher alljährlich zur Laiche an der Ahrmündung ankommenden Fintenfischschwärme. Die am Rhein spielenden Kripper Kinder (ugs. Kripper Fente genannt) benachrichtigten ihre Eltern mit dem Ruf “Bapp, de Finte kumme !“ (Vater, die Finten kommen !), worauf sich die Bevölkerung von Kripp zu einem Massenfischen der Finten an die Ahrmündung begab.

Geschaffen wurden die Skulpturen „Kripper Fente“ von dem weit über seine Heimat hinaus bekannten spanischen Künstler Antonio Mari Sart. Dieser hat es mit seinen geschmiedeten abstrakten und ausdrucksstarken Tier- und Menschenskulpturen im Land Valencia und durch Ausstellungen in New York, Paris, Amsterdam und Brüssel auch dank der Förderung der UNESCO zu großer internationaler Anerkennung gebracht. Höhepunkt seines bisherigen Schaffens war die Plastik „mirando al futuro“ für den spanischen Astronauten Pedro Duque als Hochzeitsgeschenk für das spanische Kronprinzenpaar Felipe und Letizia im Jahr 2004. -

The sculptures symbolize the sighting of the “twaite shad shoals” on their annual arrival at the mouth of the river Ahr. Children playing by the Rhine used to alert their parents of the arrival of the fish, whereupon scores of townsfolk assembled for a mass fishing in the Ahr. The sculptures were created by the renowned Spanish artist Antonio Mario Sart. He is acknowledged for his metal abstract sculptures of humans and animals presented in exhibitions in New York, Paris, Amsterdam and Brussels.The highlight of his early career is the sculpture ”mirando al futuro”, which he created as a wedding present for the Spanish royal couple Felipe and Letizia in 2004.

         
 
         

Pfarrkirche Kripp32  Pfarrkirche St. Johannes Nepomuk / The catholic parish church St. Johannes Nepomuk
Die katholische Pfarrkirche St. Johannes Nepomuk wurde 1903 geweiht. Das geschützte Kulturdenkmal wurde aus dem typischen Kripper Feldbrandziegel erbaut. Im Inneren befindet sich ein mehrstufig geschnitzter Altar und ein altes steingehauenes Taufbecken. Die Kanzel mit einem Schlangenkopf stammt aus dem Jahr 1760, das Standbild des heiligen Johannes Nepomuk, dem die Kirche geweiht ist, aus dem Jahr 1725. Vor der Kirche steht die Tuffskulptur der „Schönstatt-Schwestern“, die als Die Nonnen von KrippDenkmal vom örtlichen Heimat- und Bürgerverein aufgestellt wurde. -

The catholicparish church of St. Johannes Nepomuk was consecrated in 1903. Characteristic details are the typical Kripp roofing tiles, which deck the monument. Inside you can see a multistage graven altar and an old baptistery. The pulpit, with its snake’s head, dates from 1760, the statue of St. Johannes Nepomuk from 1725. In front of the church you can see a statue portraying the two “Schönstatt-Sisters” of Kripp, who were famous for their social commitment.

         
 
         

Hochwasserkapelle33  Hochwassernotkapelle / The flood emergency chapel
Kripp ist wegen seiner direkten Rheinlage immer wieder besonders stark vom Rheinhochwasser betroffen. Die 1845 bis 1849 erbaute Hochwassernotkapelle diente im 19. Jh. Der Unterbringung des Allerheiligsten bei Hochwasser. Sie wurde mit viel Eigeninitiative der Kripper Bevölkerung restauriert. -

Because of its location on the Rhine, Kripp is regularly effected by flooding. The flood emergency chapel, erected from 1845 to 1849, was used in the 19th century for storing the Holy Sacrament during flooding. With the initiative of the residents of Kripp it was restored recently.

         
 
         

Mausoleum34  Altes Mausoleum  / The old mausoleum
Das Mausoleum ist ein altes unter Denkmalschutz stehendes Gebäude, das 1904 der damalige Besitzer der Lederfabrik Graf Joachim Taveggi als Begräbnisstätte für seine Familie errichten ließ, aber als solche nie genutzt wurde. Der Bürger- und Heimatverein Kripp e.V. hat 2007 das alte Gebäude restauriert und als Gedenkstätte für die zivilen Opfer des 2. Weltkrieges gestaltet. In Einheit mit dem nebenan liegenden Gemeinschaftsgrab erinnert es an die Toten des Bombenangriffs auf das Fährschiff „Franziska“ am 9. Februar 1945 in Kripp. Ebenfalls findet man hier ein vom Bildhauer Ewald Mataré geschaffenes Ehrenmal zum Gedenken im ersten Weltkrieg gefallener Mitarbeiter der ehem. Kripper Lederfabrik. -

In 1904 the old Mausoleum was erected as a burial place by the industrialist Earl Joachim Taveggi, but never used as such. In 2007 it was restored by the Civil and Home Association of Kripp as a memorial to civil victims of the 2nd World War, especially to civilian casualties of the bomb attack on the ferry “Franziska” from the 10th February 1945 in Kripp. One can also find a memorial created by the sculptor Ewald Mataré commemorating leather workers of former Krippan leather factory died in 1st World War.

         
 
         
Ahrmündung35  Ahrmündung / Mouth of the river Ahr
Von hier aus hat man einen herrlichen Blick auf das Gebiet der Ahrmündung, der letzten natürlichen Mündung eines Rhein-Nebenflusses. Das Gebiet steht unter Naturschutz und bietet einer vielfältigen Flora und Fauna Heimat. Neben Reihern haben sich hier auch wieder Kormorane eingefunden. Über eine Brücke führt der Fuß- und Fahrradweg in Richtung Ahrtal und Koblenz.  - From here you have an excellent view of the whole estuary. The Ahr estuary is the only natural estuary area of the Rhine. It is a nature reserve and gives shelter to a variety of rare plants and birds, such as herons and cormorants.
         
 
         

36  Kripper Fintenbrunnen / Finte-fountain of Kripp
Dem 1973 vom Bürger- und Heimatverein Kripp e.V. installierten Springbrunnen verlieh der aktuelle Vorstand rechtzeitig zum 40- jährigen Bestehen im Jahr 2013 durch drei in Metall gegossene Fintefische neuen Glanz. Hiermit soll an eine alte Kripper Tradition erinnert und gleichzeitig das Bewusstsein für eine saubere Natur wachgehalten werden. Die Finte, eine im nördlichen Atlantik und in der Nordsee verbreitete Heringsart, steigt zum Laichen zwischen Mai und Juli die Flüsse hinauf. Die Ahrmündung war in früheren Zeiten der südlichste bekannte Laichgrund am Rhein und sorgte für ein willkommenes Zubrot für die Kripper Bevölkerung. Die Finte war so zahlreich, dass sie nach der Überlieferung mit Körben und Kohlengabeln gefischt werden konnte. Durch die Industrialisierung und steigende Verschmutzung des Rheins im 19. Und 20. Jhd. wurde die Kripper Finte erst ungenießbar und verschwand um 1935 hier schließlich ganz. Die vom Aussterben bedrohte Finte ist heute allgemein geschützt. Ob sie nach Kripp zurückkehrt, ist offen. Geblieben ist aber im Volksmund der Begriff der „Kripper Finten" für die Bewohner des Ortes Kripp. -

This fountain was installed in 1973 by the Civil and Home Association of Kripp. In 2013 three twait shad-fish (Finte) were added to commemorate the 40-year existence of the fountain and an old tradition in Kripp. The twait shad is a salt and freshwater fish. It comes from the North Sea to spawn in the Ahr between May and July. The Ahr was known as the southern-most spawning ground in Rhineland. The fish died out in Kripp because of industrialization and pollution, but the vernacular name “Kripper Finten” still exists for the inhabitants of Kripp.

         
 
         

Rheinufer37  Rheinufer Kripp / The Bank of the Rhine
Vom Rheinufer Kripp genießt man einen schönen Blick auf die gegenüberliegende Stadt Linz, zu der schon einige Jahrhunderte vor der eigentlichen Besiedlung Kripps (Anfang 18. Jh.) Fährverbindungen existierten. Am Kripper Rheinufer standen damals Futterkrippen für die Pferde der Treidelschifffahrt, die über den Treidelpfad am Ufer schwer beladene Schiffe rheinaufwärts zogen. Auf diese Futterkrippen ist wahrscheinlich der Ortsname „Kripp“ zurückzuführen. -

Enjoy an excellent view of Linz from here, the left bank of the Rhine. Earlier, probably even before the founding of Kripp, several ship connections existed with Linz. All over the bank there were feeding racks for horses used to drag heavily laden ships up the Rhine. The name “Kripp” is derived from the German word “Futterkrippe”, which is a feeding rack.

         
 

         

Heiligenhäuschen40  Heiligenhäuschen am Unkelstein / The Unkelstein wayside shrine
Am St. Lambertustag (17. September) 1409 errichtete Arnolt aus Unkelbach, Arnoltges Sohn, diesen Bildstock. In der Nische befindet sich eine Figur der Muttergottes mit Jesuskind. Die Inschrift in gotischer Minuskel lautet: ANNO D(OMI)NI MCCCC NON(O) IN DIE S(AN)C(T)I LAMBERTI DO DEDE ARNOLT, ARNOLTGES SUN VA(N) UNKELBACH, DIT MACHE(N) GOT GEVE(N) DE(N)SIN EWICH LEVE(N), DE EIR HULPE ZO LIEN GEVE. Im Jahr des Herrn 1409 am St. Lambertstag (17.09.), da tat Arnolt, Arnoltges Sohn, von Unkelbach dies machen. Gott gebe denen sein ewiges Leben, die ihre Hilfe liehen. -

This wayside shrine was built in 1409, on St. Lambert’s Day, the 14th of September, by Arnolt of Unkelbach, son of Arnoltges. The inscription above, in miniscule letters, reads: In the year of our Lord 1409, on St. Lambert’s Day, Arnolt, son of Arnoltges from Unkelbach, built this. May God give His eternal life to those who helped Him.

         
 

         

41  Traditionsecke Unkelbach / The tradition-corner Unkelbach Traditionsecke
Ein Basalttransportwagen (1903) vom ehem. Steinbruch Dungkopf, ein Weinstock und eine alte Weinpresse, ein Basaltmonolith mit Ortswappen, eine Tafel zur Ortgeschichte und die Ortswappenfahne erinnern an die Unkelbacher Geschichte. Gewidmet ist die 2002 vom Traditionsverein Unkelbach e.V. geschaffene Traditionsecke dem Unkelbacher Urgestein Helmut Bauer. -

This area is a true piece of Unkelbach history and displays, among other things, a basalt trolley (1903) from the former stone quarry “Dungkopf” and an ancient winepress. It was dedicated by the Heritage Association of Unkelbach to former resident Helmut Bauer in 2002.

         
 

         
Fachwerk in Unkelbach42  Fachwerk-Ensemble / Pfarrkirche St. Remigius / Church

Das im Jahr 853 erstmals urkundlich erwähnte Unkelbach weist am gleichnamigen romantisch gelegenen Unkelbach ein sehenswertes Fachwerk-Ensemble auf. Insbesondere sein markantes Wahrzeichen, die Pfarrkirche St. Remigius, beeindruckt mit der um 1250 von einer Kölner Werkstatt geschnitzten thronenden Muttergottes und dem Pestkreuz aus dem Jahre 1660. Die beiden Prangereisen an der alten Mädchenschule zeugen, genauso wie die alten Grabsteine an der Friedhofskapelle, von der ehemaligen Gerichtsbarkeit und Schöffentätigkeit in Unkelbach. -

Unkelbach, a romantic village almost 1200 years old, features an impressive ensemble of half-timbered houses. The parish church St. Remigius with its impressive wooden statue of the Mother of God enthroned and carved about 1250 and the Pest cross from 1660 are interesting characteristics of the area. The two pillories at the old school, as well as the old gravestones at the graveyard chapel, mark the former jurisdiction of Unkelbach.

         
 

         

Stadt Remagen - Die Stadt am Rhein50  Pfarrkirche St. Gertrudis und Friedhofskapelle St. Gertrudis / Church and Cemetery chapel of St. Gertrudis
Die neugotische Kirche St. Gertrudis wurde 1908 nach Plänen des Bonner Architekten J. Stumpf errichtet. Sie trat als Pfarrkirche an die Stelle der Friedhofskapelle St. Gertrudis, ein einschiffiger Bau aus dem 13. Jahrhundert mit gut erhaltenen romanischen Fresken und einer bemerkenswerten Pieta. -

The cemetery chapel of St. Gertrudis, dating back to the 13th century, is worth a visit with its well preserved Roman frescos and its pieta. After constructed by architect J. Strumpf the church took the place of the chapel in 1908.

         
 

         

60  Zehnthof / Zehnthof TowerZehnthof
Der Burgturm des Zehnthofs steht vermutlich auf römischen Grundmauern. In dem Burgturm wohnte einst, 1276 erstmals erwähnt, für etwa 100 Jahre die Familie des Ritters Reinoldus von Baggerdorp. Das historische Gebäude wurde 1973 aufwendig renoviert und bildet heute den geschichtlichen Mittelpunkt des Ortes. -

 The most imposing building in the centre of the village is the “Zehnthof”, probably built on Roman foundations and completely renovated in 1973. In the 13th century the tower was inhabited by the family of the knight Reinoldus von Baggerdorp. Nowadays it is the historical centre of the community.

         
 

         
61 Sümpborn / Fountain at Sümpborn
ist Altdeutsch für Sumpfbrunnen. Bis Mitte des letzten Jahrhunderts nutzten die Bürger aus Bandorf und aus dem benachbarten Höhenort Birgel diese Wasserquelle, falls der eigene Brunnen nach einer langen Hitzeperiode versiegte. Die Menschen zogen dann mit ihrem „Tragejoch“ vom Berg hinab ins Tal, um das lebenswichtige Wasser in Eimern nach Hause zu tragen. Nachdem im letzten Jahrhundert
jeder Haushalt mit einer Wasserleitung versorgt wurde, ging die Erinnerung an die Brunnen nach und nach verloren. Um an die Tradition der Trinkwasserbeschaffung durch Brunnen zu erinnern, richtete der St. Josefs-Verein Bandorf e.V. mit großem ehrenamtlichen Engagement den Brunnen im Jahr 2015 wieder her, um auch in Zukunft darauf aufmerksam zu machen, wie wichtig eine gesicherte Wasserversorgung ist.
Fountain at Sümpborn
Up to the middle of the last century the citizens of Bandorf and neighbouring Birgel used this
source of water in the case that their own well dried out after a long period of hot weather. People walked the way down the hill to the valley to take the essential source of water home. After all households were fitted with water pipelines in the course of the last century, the memory of springs increasingly disappeared. To keep this old tradition of supplying water alive, the St. Josefs- Association (St. Josefs-Verein e.V.) rebuild the well. So, in the future it shall remind people of the importance of water for us all.

         
 
         
70  Unkelstein / famous "Unkelstein"

Hier wurde schon zur Römerzeit der berühmte „Unkelstein“ gebrochen, der auch im Fundament des Kölner Doms Verwendung fand. Benannt ist dieser nach dem gegenüberliegenden Städtchen Unkel.

Die Mönche vom Apollinarisberg besaßen schon im Jahr 1117 Weinberge am Unkelstein und das Recht zum Fischfang im Rhein (iuxta Vnkelstein). Neben der typischen 6-eckigen Basaltsäule ist hier eine sogenannte vulkanische „Basaltbombe“ zu sehen. Sie symbolisiert den Anfang des „Unkelsteiges“, der von hier zum RheinBurgenWeg auf die Rheinhöhe führt. Das sichtbare Basaltriff stellte der Schifffahrt lange Zeit ein Hindernis dar. Nach Ende des Basaltabbaus 1927 wurde der Steinbruch verfüllt. Auf dem entstandenen Bergplateau wurde 1962 das Gebäude des heutigen „Hotel Haus Oberwinter“ errichtet. -

At this point, the famous “Unkelstein” has been hauled going back to Roman times. Named after the opposed town Unkel he even was used as fundament for the Cologne Cathedral. In 1117 monks from the Apollinaris vineyards alongside “Unkelstein” and possessed fishing rights. Next to the typical hexagonal basalt column you can see the so-called volcanic “Basalt Bomb”. It symbolizes the start of the path which leads up to the RhineBurgenWeg. For a long time the basalt reef posed a danger to shipping. It was closed in 1927 and filled in and the resulting hill was used as land for the “Hotel Haus Oberwinter” which was built in 1962.

         


Wirtz71  Haus Wirtz / House Wirtz

Ehemals Gasthaus zum Anker, später Wohnhaus des Sanitätsrats Wirtz. Im Scheitelstein des Rundbogens der überbauten Tordurchfahrt sieht man einen Anker und die Jahreszahl 1781. Auf dem Balken des Gassenüberbaus befindet sich eine Hochwassermarke aus dem Jahr 1784. Von der Hauptstraße aus lohnt sich ein Blick in das schmale Holundergässchen. -

Earlier “House Wirtz” served as a guesthouse called “Zum Anker”. In the peak of the facade one can see an anchor dated 1781 and above the beam is a high-water mark fixed from 1784.

A visit to the narrow “Holundergässchen” is recommended.

 

         

Alte Pumpe72  Pumpe, Haus Zettelmeier / Old water pump
“De ahl Pump”, die alte Pumpe von 1780 ist eines der Wahrzeichen von Oberwinter. Die Erbauer folgten den Regeln der Triangologie (Dreiecksmessung) und erreichten so die harmonische Form. Der seitliche Wasseraustritt ist als Reliefmaske gestaltet. Das benachbarte Zettelmeiersche Haus, vermutlich aus dem Jahr 1673, hat ein auf gezackten Streben vorgekragtes Obergeschoss. Vor der vermutlich ältesten, geteilten Haustüre von Oberwinter befindet sich zwischen Steinpfosten ein dreistufiges Treppchen. -

“De ahl Pump” from 1780 is one of Oberwinter’s characteristic landmarks. The house next door, called “Zettelmeiersches Haus”, probably built in 1673, has a projecting upper floor, which is shored up by jagged braces. The builder worked with the rules of triangulation to achieve the harmonic form. You can discover the oldest divided entry door of Oberwinter that stands between the jambs in front of three-staged stairs.

         
 
         
Evangl. Kirche73  Evangelische Kirche, altes Pfarrhaus / The protestant church

Erbaut in den 1721/22 nach Plänen des Baumeisters Adam. Rechteckiger Saalbau, der nach reformierter Art äußerst einfach gehalten ist. An der Hauptstraße das ehemalige Pfarrhaus mit Inschrift im Rundbogen der Toreinfahrt. Diese bildete den Zugang zur Kirche, da evangelische Gotteshäuser nicht direkt an einer Landstraße liegen durften. - The protestant church was built in 1721/22 and designed by master builder Adam. By the roadside you will find the former vicarage with an inscription on the entrance gate. It was an entrance to the church, because protestant churches didn’t had to be located next to country roads.

         
 
         

altes Rathaus74  Altes Rathaus  / The old town hall
Erbaut 1841 als Schulgebäude anstelle des sogenannten Bürgerhauses. Nach dem Bau einer neuen Schule diente es von 1896 bis zur Kommunalreform 1969 als Rathaus der Gemeinde Oberwinter. Der drohende Abriss des Hauses konnte 1988 durch die Gründung der Vereinigung Rathaus Oberwinter und Archiv e.V. verhindert werden. -

The old town hall, built as a school on the site of the so-called “Bürgerhaus” in 1841, is located a few steps along the “Hauptstraße”. The building served as the town hall for Oberwinter from 1896 to 1969. The threatening demolition was avoided by the association of the “Oberwinter Town Hall and Archive”.

         
 
         

Haus Schwanen75  Haus Schwanen / House Schwanen
Das prächtige Fachwerkhaus beeindruckt durch sein am Oberstock reich geschmücktes Fachwerk und ein vorkragendes Zwerchhaus. Im Jahre 1671 von den Eheleuten Cremer erbaut, wurde es 200 Jahre später als Gasthof „Schwanen“ bekannt und ist heute ein geschütztes Baudenkmal. Nachdem es 2010 umfassend renoviert worden ist, wird es seither als Künstleratelier und Galerie genutzt. Eine Inschriftentafel auf der Vorderseite des Hauses erinnert an die Namen der Erbauer.-

House Schwanen impresses with richly decorated half-timbered facades. It was built in 1671 by the married couple Cremer and was used 200 years later as a well-established guesthouse. The historical monument has been extensively renovated in 2010 and used as an artist’s workshop and gallery since then. An inscription in front of the house mentions the former owner.

         
 
         

Kath. Kirche76  Katholische Pfarrkirche "St. Laurentius" / The catholic church St. Laurentius
Die katholische Pfarrkirche von Oberwinter, die im Jahr 1131 erstmals erwähnt wurde, ist unter anderem für ihr romanisches Tor bekannt. Der älteste erhaltene Bauteil ist der spätgotische, polygonal gebrochene Chor mit eingezogenen Strebepfeilern und reichem Sterngewölbe. Das heutige Kirchenschiff wurde nach den Plänen des Architekten Statz 1865/66 angebaut. -

St. Laurentius Catholic church was first mentioned in 1131. Highlights are the Romanic gate as well as the old choir with its impressive stellar vault. The nave was added in 1865/66 by the architect Statz.

         
 
         

Hafen Oberwinter77  Hafen Oberwinter - Rastplatz Siebengebirgsblick / The harbour of Oberwinter - Rest area Siebengebirgsblick
Der 1936 mit der B9 gebaute “Rastplatz Siebengebirgsblick” am Rheinpegel Oberwinter ist der Zugang zum Hafendamm und zur Anlegestelle der Ausflugsschiffe. Der Hafen Oberwinter wurde 1891 als Schutzhafen für die Rheinschiffe bei Eisgang und Hochwasser gebaut und dient heute als privater Freizeithafen. Vom Hafendamm hat man einen herrlichen Weitblick auf den Rhein, den Hafen, Oberwinter und das Siebengebirge. Auf der Spitze des Hafendamms steht als Teil des Remagene Skulpturenufers der „Regenfänger“ von Eberhard Bosslet.-

The harbour was built in 1891 as a refuge for boats during periods of flooding and ice. Today it is used as a private harbour for yachts. A walk along the harbour wall is really worth the effort. From there one has splendid views of Oberwinter, the Rhine and the mountains of “Siebengebirge”. In front of the pier one can see the Sculpture “Regenfänger” created by artist Eberhard Bosslet. It is part of Remagen’s “Bank of Sculptures”.

         

 


         

Burg78  Fritzeburg / The Fritzeburg
Der Name geht auf Fritz Gütgemann zurück, dem das Haus Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts gehörte. Im Kern stammt der malerische Fachwerkbau aus dem 17. Jahrhundert. Der Torbogen über der Gasse ist Teil der alten Ortsbefestigung. -

You should note the “Fritzeburg” above “Rheingasse” which is named after Fritz Gütgemann, a former owner in the 19th century. The core of this quaint half-timbered building dates from 17th century. The arch above the narrow street is part of an old fortification.

         
 
         

Arp Museum Bahnhof Rolandseck80  Arp Museum Bahnhof Rolandseck  / Museum and station
Der klassizistische Bahnhof Rolandseck aus dem Jahr 1856 war Endpunkt einer Privatbahn, die ab Köln verkehrte. Sein prächtiger Festsaal war schon Mitte des vorigen Jahrhunderts Treffpunkt der Gesellschaft und Schauplatz der Kulturgeschichte am Rhein. Der Bahnhof Rolandseck ist heute durch eine Verbindung unter den Bahngleisen hindurch mit dem von Richard Meier entworfenen Museumsneubau auf den Rheinhöhen verbunden. Hier sind Werke von Hans Arp, Sophie Taeuber-Arp sowie internationale Gegenwartskunst und regelmäßige Wechselausstellungen zu sehen. Ebenso finden dort groß angelegte Ausstellungen mit Werken der „Sammlung Rau für UNICEF“ statt.-

The classical station Rolandseck, dating from 1856, was the terminus of a private railway coming from Cologne. For a long time it served as a cultural and social meeting place on the Rhine. After it’s renovation, the station, and the new museum designed by Richard Meier, merged to be “Arp Museum Bahnhof Rolandseck”. Hans Arp, Sophie Taeuber-Arp and international contemporary artists are exhibited here. One can also visit the large exhibitions of the “Collection Rau for UNICEF”.

weitere Informationen / more information  >>>

         
 

         

Wildpark81  Wildpark Rolandseck / The "hands-on" game-park Rolandseck
Im Wildpark mit seinen großen Freigehegen (Rotwild, Muffelwild, Damwild, Ziegen u.a.) lohnt sich ein längerer Aufenthalt. Rundwege führen durch den Wald und an großzügigen Wild-Freigehegen vorbei. -

The hands-on game-park Rolandseck, with its big open-air enclosures, is really worth a visit. You can observe red deer, moufflon and fallow deer, and you can touch and feed goats. Most of the animals can be observed at close quarters because the footpaths pass through the park. Children have a lot of fun feeding the animals with the food on sale.
weitere Informationen / more information >>>

zum Wildpark Video
video

         
 

         

Insel Nonnenwerth90  Insel Nonnenwerth mit Kloster St. Clemens / The isle of Nonnenwerth

Im Jahr 1126 wurde von Erzbischof Friedrich I. von Köln und Abt Cuno von Siegburg ein Frauenkloster auf der 2 km langen Rheininsel gegründet. Das barocke Klostergebäude wurde 1773-75 nach Plänen des Architekten Nikolaus Lauxen neu errichtet, nachdem es im Jahr zuvor von einem Brand zerstört worden war. Seit 1854 beherbergt das Kloster Franziskanerinnen, die bis heute ein privates Gymnasium auf der Insel unterhalten. -

 The Franciscan convent on the isle of Nonnenwerth was founded in 1126 by Archbishop Friedrich I. from Cologne, and Abbot Cuno from Siegburg. After a destructive fire the baroque building was reconstructed from 1773-75 with help from plans of architect Nikolaus Lauxen. Since 1854 Franciscans administer the abbey situated on the 2 km long island, which is now used as a private grammar school.

         
 

         

91  Freiligrath-DenkmalFreiligrath-Denkmal / The Freiligrath-Monument
1840 sicherte der Dichter Ferdinand Freiligrath (1810-1876) mit einem Spendenaufruf in der Kölnischen Zeitung den Wiederaufbau des in der stürmischen Nacht vom 28. auf den 29. Dezember 1839 eingestürzten letzten Fensterbogens der mittelalterlichen Burg Rolandseck. Ihm zu Ehren wurde am  17. Juni 1914 ein Denkmal errichtet, dessen Büste von dem englischen Bildhauer Siegfried M. Wiens, einem Enkel des Dichters, geschaffen wurde. -

In 1840 the poet Ferdinand Freiligrath initiated the reconstruction of the Rolandsbogen, after the last window collapsed in 1839.In 1914 this monument was constructed in his honour. The bust was made by the English sculptor Siegfried M. Wiens, a grandson of Freiligrath.

         
 
         

Rolandsbogen 92  Rolandsbogen / The Rolandsbogen
Der Rolandsbogen ist der letzte Fensterbogen der Ruine einer mittelalterlichen Burg. Nach seinem Einsturz 1839 sah es der Romantiker Ferdinand Freiligrath als seine Pflicht an, das Erbe zu bewahren und rief zu Spenden auf, um den Bogen wieder aufzubauen. Der Blick reicht zum Siebengebirge mit dem Drachenfels und auf die Insel Nonnenwerth mit dem Kloster St. Clemens. -

The Rolandsbogen is one of the last “window arches” of a castle built in the Middle Ages. After it’s collapse in 1839, the poet Ferdinand Freiligrath started an initiative to rebuild the window.From this fantastic viewpoint one can see the island Nonnenwerth and the abbey St. Clemens as well as the valley of the Rhine and the Siebengebirge mountain range with the Drachenfels.

         
 
         

Fledermausturm im Park93  Hentzenpark / Geheime Gärten Rolandswerth / Hentzenpark / secret gardens rolandswerth
Es lohnt ein Spaziergang zum Rheinufer und durch den über 100 Jahre alten Hentzenpark. Im Jahr 1897 errichtete hier Clara von Recklinghausen einen prächtigen Landsitz mit dazugehörigem Landschaftsgarten. 1918 wurde die Villa schließlich vom Fabrikanten Walter Hentzen erworben, nach dem der Park noch heute benannt ist. In den 1970er-Jahren wurde das Gebäude abgerissen und das Gelände verwahrloste, bis das Künstlerpaar Bittermann & Duka den Park im Rahmen des „Skulpturenufers Remagen“ in das Kunstprojekt „geheime gärten rolandswerth“ verwandelte. -

You should consider a walk to the banks of the Rhine and through the more than 100-year-old park “Hetzenpark”. In 1897 Clara von Recklinghausen constructed an impressive residence with a corresponding garden at this point. The industrialist Walter Hentzen purchased it in 1918. Since then it is known as “Hentzenpark”. In the seventies the building was pulled down and the garden neglected. The artist couple Bittermann & Duka turned it into the project “secret gardens rolandswerth” in the context of Remagen’sBank of Sculptures”.
weiter Information / more information >>> 

         
 
         
                 
                                                                                                                  
                                                                                                                                             nach oben

Seite drucken Diese Seite zu den Favoriten hinzufügen... Diese Seite jemandem empfehlen...
produced with ecomas®